Thursday, August 16, 2012

A SONG ABOUT A BIG MAC.

And we're back!

There is so much on my mind as of late, but I am generally in a positive mood this week.  I don't know if you know this, but I have songwriting abilities.  YES!  And I discovered this hidden talent of mine about a decade ago.  I recorded about four demos of my own songs, which I still have and I think it's high time I recorded them with better equipment.  My demos are pretty good; I believe my keyboard playing and "production" skills are not too shabby.  LOOK OUT GEORGE MARTIN, GUS DUDGEON, AND TIMBALAND!  LMAO!   Thanks to my co-worker/bud who is also very musical and plays guitar, it looks like both of us might be working together very soon!  OH MA GOD! Lyrics are the hardest thing to write, but I think after years of bombarding myself with Lennon/McCartney, John/Taupin, and Paul Simon, I think I can write a good line or two.  I've been rather dormant the past decade because of LIFE getting in the way, but I have never lost my desire to sing and have been regularly doing it at karaoke just to keep that creative spirit within me alive.  Gotta work the day job to keep paying the bills, but the time to act on my musical side may just very well be here!  I am excited, and while I am definitely not expecting worldwide fame or success from this; it'll be interesting to hear what my friend and I can come up with.  Sadly, I feel most music today fails to match the greatness of music in the past and it seems like everything has been done already, but it never hurts to try!  I've got more than adequate a voice and it's time I recorded it so that once I am dead, future generations will marvel at how such a fine talent like myself could have even existed.  LOL!  Listen man, I've been singing since I was about four years old,  My mom tells me I used to sing the Bee Gees.  Not that I'm old or anything.  COUGH!

I was a bit stoned the other night and somehow got caught up reading about the history of fast food.  HAHA!  It's absolutely amazing how earth-shattering and global this industry has become.  Americans spend something like 110 billion or more on this kind of food a year, and it has now gone global as one of our greatest exports of all time!  It's mind-blowing to learn all this really!  McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Subway, Pizza Hut, Carl's Jr, KFC, etc.  The list goes on and on!  As delicious and addictive as this grub can be, the modern era has revealed just how unhealthy most of this stuff is to our bodies, and many of these chains have been maligned in recent years--blamed for making America fat and for cruelty to the animals used to feed an increasingly obese nation such as ours.  It's hard to believe that at one time all these places did not even exist, but the 1950s is where the burgers and fries truly began to become mass produced.  Sometimes I think of fast food joints as eye sores on the American landscape; just try and drive on any freeway anywhere across this country and you'll always see one of these places on the side of the road.  EEK!  One of the interesting facts most people don't realize is the reason why fast food became so popular in the last fifty years or so is because more women had to leave the house to go to work, so the home-cooked meal has essentially become a thing of the past.    Interestingly enough, In-N-Out Burger, which is primarily in the Southwestern U.S. is one of the highest rated and "healthiest" of all the fast food places currently in existence for their use of very natural ingredients.  I tells ya, their burgers are really delicious!  

Damn it!  I wish I'd written this song!  From 1975:

 

2 comments:

Troy said...

the year i graduated high school, i loved that song

mkf said...

so when are we gonna hear some of this heretofore-hidden goodness?

as for obscure eltons i wish i'd written, i'd have to go with "sartorial eloquence"--so eighties it hurts, but so damn stylish.