Monday, April 18, 2005

¡Viva La Música!

So, it’s the wee hours of a Monday morning here, and I am enjoying my new computer beyond my wildest dreams and fantasies. It is phenomenally fast and the cable modem Internet connection I have is so far, nothing short of superb!

I am having a blast burning CD’s and downloading music. I’ve fallen into a music phase of finding the best in Latin music, whether classic or modern. This is not a new phase, as I have been doing this since the early 90's, with artists such as Miguel Bosé, Mecano, La Unión, Maná, and Juan Luis Guerra y 440. I kind of left the Latin scene though in the mid 90's when the alternative grunge rock scene exploded and gave us some phenomenal unforgettable music thanks to Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, No Doubt, Pearl Jam, and many others too numerous to mention. Then came the late 90's and early 2000's when I went into my classic rock British invasion phase. I began to feverishly collect all that was The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Who of course. I think I’m now going back to my roots, only because there is some good music being made out there by Juanes, Shakira, Molotov, Café Tacuba, Gustavo Cerati, and many others. Let’s just say my CD collection is pretty impressive to say the least, but my collection of mp3's in the next year or so with this new computer should begin to look even more amazing. I mean, I’ve been out of the mp3 loop for years, not having the equipment available to even use this amazing technology. To me, NAPSTER was just one big controversial news story, not something I even used, as I never had it when it was making headlines.

Yes, I still have room for the occasional Pop Top 40 cheesy hit here and there and some good catchy Hip Hop, but for the most part, I like well-composed, lyrically smart, and well-crafted music. Rock and Roll will always be high on my list.

I am now officially into any and all kinds of music as evidenced by my growing musical tastes in the 1990's and early parts of this decade. And how could one not be? Music is such an incredible art form to which there is no equal. It soothes the soul, uplifts the spirit, sends chills down the spine, delights the brain, freezes a moment in time and brings back memories like no other except maybe the sense of smell. In any language is pretty much fine for me, preferably in English and Spanish, which are the dominant languages for music the world over.

Life is so worth living with so much beautiful sound.

No comments: