Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Film at its finest

Saturday night, I went to see an immensely enjoyable, educational, and wonderful piece of filmmaking called, The Motorcycle Diaries. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be, as was my friend Michael who along with me raved about the film. Gael García Bernal continues to astound me as a young Mexican actor with nothing but promising film roles in his future. I just hope that when he finally does start making Hollywood films in English (like Antonio Banderas who got lost in Hollywood crap unfortunately after brilliant films in Spain) that he gets wonderful roles and doesn't stop making incredible thought-provoking films like he has been these past few years in Spain and Latin America. García Bernal is wonderful as a young Ché Guevara (yes, that very one) who along with his friend go on a wild life-changing trip throughout South America. Not only does it expand their horizons and views of the world, but also the viewer's, and I found myself totally engrossed in these characters and their very many outrageous, yet poignant adventures. It is the best film I have seen all year so far, and it was subtitled in English! It helps that I know Spanish, but I think people of any culture or language background would enjoy this movie. IT KICKS MAJOR ASS BABY! Gael has also been in some good stuff before, notably: Amores Perros, Y Tu Mamá También, and El Crimen del Padre Amaro. Don't forget folks, The Motorcycle Diaries, now playing at an independent or some major theater near you!

No comments: