Monday, January 26, 2009

JANUARY IS ALMOST OVER! DEAR GOD!

Too much partying/staying up late this weekend, all to bid one final farewell to my closing bar mentioned in my previous post. It's Monday, I'm at work, and barely functioning...

My aunt had been staying with us the past two months, and had to fly back home to Tamaleland Saturday night, so off to LAX we went. I'm sad to see my aunt go, because she is such a good cook and always makes sure I'm well fed. I will miss her. Because my aunt has a very dark complexion however, security and crap at the airport are very racist towards her. I notice that every time we're at an airport, they take a long time to look through her passport and give her really suspicious looks. And yet, when very fair-skinned white people go through the same security personnel, they tend to let them through at a much faster rate. I'm not making this up, I observe these things very clearly! For all this new airport security and crap, our planes are not that much safer since 9/11, as study after study has shown. It's all quite ridiculous, and if a terrorist really wants to kill a lot of people, they will find a way. Just because they make ya take your shoes off and allow no liquids on board does not mean one is safer. Unless we install Israeli airport security methods, all this phony baloney pseudo-security only makes flying a real annoying nuisance for the average passenger.

Flicks I actually sat through this weekend include: William Wyler also directed Bette Davis in Jezebel and The Little Foxes, movies I found much superior to the bit overly melodramatic The Letter. I mean, it had its moments and all, but blah! The musical score was intrusive and I just wasn't that wowed by the film as a whole. On the other hand, the Oscar-nominated impressive and fascinating The Duchess starring Keira Knightly and Ralph Fiennes has to be seen! What a gorgeous sumptuous visual feast and most interesting compelling story this is! Even the rich nobles weren't always happy, despite their lives of privilege, and I believe this movie is based on a true story. How any normal person can sit through the French film The Last Metro is beyond comprehension, but I'm anything but normal of course. I'm patient and love to take in movies that don't have explosions/car chases, and this movie starring French cinema legends Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Depardieu is one of those films that requires patient viewing; taking place at a small theater during the Nazi occupation of France. Very interesting.

More to come later...

8 comments:

molly said...

youre not being paranoid about the airport security, there definitely is a racism there!
its so sad that we live in a world like this.

also, i never thought id end up a britney fan either, but her past couple albums have sucked me in!

Anonymous said...

Actually I enjoyed "The Last Metro". It was a goof film, reminded me of the other film about an English Baudeville/Burlesque in WWII England. It is worth watching.

All the 911 Security thing is a Smokescreen for the government. It does not make you feel better or provide any real safety... its a nusicence. :-(

A Lewis said...

Good food....thanks for inviting me over.

Eddie said...

My mom is very white and my dad was brown in complexion. I on the other hand, came out a bit like both of them. I'm of the olive-skinned persuasion. Despite being a magnanimous hunk, I too have experienced many levels of racism.

I feel your sadness in this matter. Still can't believe that the world was ready for a black president though. I have been at a stable shock ever since. Makes me wonder if everyone was just so exhausted with our economic situation that they voted in desperation instead of their lack of racism. I on the other hand voted with much confidence.

Besos

The Art of Trey said...

I recently watched THE DUCHESS. I thought Keira did a great job and it was gorgeous to look at. However... ok, I won't bore you with my annoyances of the film.

For some reason, I'm always the person they pick on at airports. I dread flying now, absolutely dread it.
But how come when I go to Canada, they let me in with no problems but coming back to the US I'm treated like a criminal?

mouse (aka kimy) said...

airport security is irrational.

saw slumdog millionaire last night....wonder what does wat think?

it was entertaining, gripping and scary at times, tender and inspiring at times. not best picture material but I would give it an oscar for some technical thing...like perhaps editing

doubt is a contender for best picture so far in my book....but still have a couple more to go...of course sean needs to get it for milk....

Gary said...

If it helps I am the whitest guy out there and am generally given more attention at the airport than others around me. I don't know what it is but I do know that it is annoying. I must have a serious look or something.

Can you believe the only movie I have seen (that you mention here) is Jezebel? I did want to see The Duchess though but forgot about it already. Thanks for putting it back on my radar.

M- Filer said...

Agreed. I loved "The Duchess". Brilliant.