Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I have this funny feeling.


I get this horrible funny feeling that the L.A. area is due sometime soon for a strong earthquake. Let’s face it, it has been a good while since any pressure was relieved by a major temblor here. And the hot muggy weather as of late is not helping ease my fears…

The last time we shook real good was in January of 1994, with the now infamous Northridge Earthquake. That was quite devastating to many people, and thank God my old house withstood any serious damage. Previous to that was the Whittier-Narrows quake in ’87, and that one stands out for me only because it happened right before the morning bell in Junior High. My classmate María Caraballo never could escape me teasing her throughout high school when she had the sad sorry misfortune of her distraught parents coming over to the campus to pick her up. Who can forget her mother going off in heavy Cuban Spanish, "¡AY, TODOH LOH PLATOH DE LA COCINAH Y TODO MARIA HIJA, QUE DESASTREH!" God, that was funny!

A strong jolt however, is not funny at all, and lots of praying needs to be done I think, in order to avoid this uneasy feeling I have of an impending catastrophe…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake

2 comments:

Angie_C said...

ahaha I soon as I read 87 I knew you were gonna mention maria!
I was out on the field when that happened. I wish I could have caught that tho!

WAT said...

I mean, not to make fun of the poor woman...well, yeah, to make fun of her just a bit. HEEHEE!