Wednesday, April 09, 2008

EAU DE TOILETTE!

That smart blogging feline over there at Tangled Up in L'Heure Bleue devotes much of his time to the art of fine perfume; he's me inspired to write out this post and also reminded me of my late father and his favorite cologne of all time! Dad's signature fragrance was Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Yeah, I'll never forget that. That stuff smelled pretty darn good, a more potent version I believe of Brut 33. I remember my mom buying him those huge $100 bottles every year for Xmas or his birthday in June. I like wearing cologne too, but don't usually want to spend too much on it, so Axe Bodyspray works just fine! LOLOL! I keep hearing how I smell good, so it does the trick I suppose. What fragrance/perfume/cologne do y'all out there like to use?

I'm feeling very French today for some odd reason, as I'm sure you are as well. HEE! I took four years of French
back in high school and still remember much of it, thanks to the fact that it's related to Spanish, which is already part of my essence. Yeah yeah, I've heard for years that the French are quite proud/conceited and anti-American because they're fiercely protective of their culture against the Anglo onslaught of the past fifty years or so, but their language is truly beautiful, romantic, and poetic. Mais oui, c'est la langue de l'amour et la diplomacie! Well, French used to be the diplomatic language par excellence, before English came and basically took over the world. Still, le français is very much still spoken and studied a lot in Europe, and I try to watch lots of French films when possible, to keep my ear accustomed to hearing it and as a good way to learn new expressions and such. I'd honestly like to have someone to practice it with more often though. Malheuresement, il est dificile de trouver quelqu'un dans ce ville qui le parle! Translation: Unfortunately, it's hard to find someone in this city that speaks it. I apologize if my writing is a bit rusty; my reading comprehension and speaking skils are much better. French is notoriously horrid to write out; the accents and spelling can drive just about anyone mad!

To end this very French post, I'd like to dedicate it to a marvelous actress: Fanny Ardant. Fanny played the rival French queen in Elizabeth starring Cate Blanchett, was in a marvelous film called Ridicule, and another great one called Don't Tempt Me. I still have many more of her flicks to catch, but she is one fine classy grande dame! If you ever get a chance dear faitfhful reader, do get a hold of one of Fanny's movies. She is terrific. Magnifique, et je l'aime beaucoup!

O.k. I'm leaving Paris/Québec now. Au revoir!

12 comments:

dit said...

I love all things French, always wanted to learn French too.

As far as Cologne, I love two.

1) ROMA cologne by Laura Biagiotti
2) Trussardi

Anonymous said...

My gosh, my grandmother is from France and I don't even know anything other than "Parlez-vous français?" I love it when she gets mad! Love the French profanities!
Oh and French boys are so hot!

The Art of Trey said...

In order to avoid confusion and to keep things simple, I wear cologne from The Body Shop. At least I know they have ethics in the manufacturing of their products.

LBIC said...

I love french. I'm conversational, not yet fluent, but France has always been a place I've wanted to move to.

Ooh, and french films! Amelie is my favorite, by far. Followed by the Spanish movie, Lucia y el Sexo

LBIC said...

Oh, I forgot to ask you, did you hear Stern this morning? That was insane. I kind of think it was a prank. Only because I have HTV and the whole Sal and Rich nonsense is always overblown.

WAT said...

LBIC: Just the other day Artie was recorded sleeping and it was hilarious, and now today that huge fight broke out! EEK! Prank? Prolly not. Artie is a mess.

Zut alors!

Bobby D. said...

another good french film

Entre Nous (starring Miou Miou & Isabelle Huppert)

I wear Bel Ami Cologne by Hermes

Dennis wears Rochas Man

Thanks for the plug Wat, every day I hope today will be the day I get 50 comments-- one can dream.

Anonymous said...

Pooch no have phone, call pooch at home line maw

mouse (aka kimy) said...

oh la la! viva la france! j'adore film à la française - or however one would say that. ridicule I saw (thumbs up) but have to check out tempt me....thanks for the head's and thumbs up.

and miou-miou along with being a wonderful actress, what a great name!

M- Filer said...

Stronger than Brut 33? Damn...that's strong! My father used to wear Brut, prob. still does. Funny.

I don't wear cologne, dunno why really, I love it on other men.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

It's nearly illegal to wear cologne in San Francisco, and people will grimace and ask "Are you from somewhere like Dallas or L.A.?" They claim to be "fragrance intolerant" but have no problem with people who bathe only once a week and use worthless Tom's of Maine deodorant.

Being half French/half Jewish I heartily approve of this post and the Jake header. Two other favorite Fanny Ardant films are "Forever Callas" and "8 Femme"

Bobby D. said...

I have to go smell out some Paco now that you mentioned it.

I wear perfume all of the time but no one notices it -- I apply it very lightly. I read an article on "How to apply" and if you followed the directions you get 18 full spritzes on your body. (18????) If I spritzed 3 I'd be sorry--4 and I'd pass out. The whole spray thing bugs me--I like dabs. 2 dabs or 1 spritz.
Cologne is lighter & you can do an extra spritz, but it's still for you and the person nuzzling your neck, not for the people sitting 3 feet away.