Friday, April 04, 2008

UN BOLETO POR FAVOR.

This is the blog post that I fully expect to rack up more than 20 comments on, just because my ego says it should. HAHA!

That handsome
teaching stud Gary over there in New York, has inspired me further that it's never too late and that the time has hopefully come for me to perhaps pursue a career in education! I am praying I finally stop procrastinating and can start taking the required tests and go for my teaching credential like I meant to do originally some ten years ago, before "the dark times, before the Empire", to quote Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ya see kids, yours truly has been doing boring office work for a decade now, just because I was sorely lacking in true work experience when I graduated college back in 1997 with my B.A. Yeah, I have a Bachelor's! Big whoop I know, but it's something I guess I am kinda proud of. I was a Spanish major, which is why I often
dedicate posts to the language and culture, because not only is it part of my cultural family heritage, but also because it's something I passionately adore and studied like an English major would Shakespeare; Spanish is quite the beautiful and highly rich literary tongue. Yeah, I remember all that reading, term papers, and essays only to be majorly burned out by the time I got my degree. I suddenly felt lost and stopped it all to join the working world and then got socked with horrible anxiety disorder and other issues and why bore you with all the gory details other than to reiterate the fact that I am now thinking of going back to my original plan of teaching Spanish. Or maybe English as a Second Language!? I do have a great command of both languages; something must finally come out of this as I keep hearing my co-workers constantly say to me, "You'd make a great teacher, what are you still doing here working in this office?" Mind you, I use my language skills at the office all the time and get paid extra for it, but it's not what I want to nor should be doing. One becomes complacent and conforms in life I suppose due to pressing financial responsibilities, but I hope I'm motivated to change my life soon and start on the road to teaching the world the language of Cervantes, whose classic masterpiece book Don Quixote I am almost halfway done with by the way! YEEHA!

Some major veteran music artists are coming to the L.A. area in the co
ming weeks! Oh boy, oh boy! Concerts are expensive though, but I'd love to go see Elton John, George Michael, and R.E.M., all on their merry way to my town! I'm almost certain I am going to go see Elton, just because I know his body of work pretty well and my bud says he'll be singing all of his hits, so it should be pretty f*cking entertaining and fun to sing-a-long to Elton's amazing melodies and Bernie Taupin's crazy intricate lyrics; Elton's concert is coming to Anaheim on April 19 which is just around the corner, so I better get tix pronto which I'm pretty sure I can still find! Then there's R.E.M., a band from my high school days, and they have written some pretty cool catchy songs throughout their career; they should be fun to go see at the end of May at the Hollywood Bowl. And George Michael? I mean, what a songwriter, and what an amazing voice! Some great pop tunes by that dude indeed! He hasn't toured in over a decade, so this is a very big deal and he'll be here late June. Let's see, that's three major artists and about $600 bucks total for me to go to all three shows with decent seats that is! What to do, what to do? Funny how Elton, lead R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, and George Michael are all gay too; the rainbow pride is overflowing here, which is why the talent is so enormous! They should've all just toured together damnit, and saved me some cash! LOL!

My co-worker J.S. was nice enough to surprise me on my return to work earlier this week with this really cool Beatles book gift chock full of amazing photos of the boys! They just never knew privacy again once they become hugely famous did they? Gorgeous glossy crystal clear pics in this amazing little coffee table mini-book! I may try and scan some of these photos sometime soon, so y'all can see them traveling the world, swimming in the pool, smoking, thinking, performing, and doing all kinds of other mundane things.

Too bad The Beatles ain't coming to L.A. to perform. An impossible dream in this modern age, which is left to footage from the past, when all four were still alive and on top of the world.


You have to read this article about the pregnant half man/half woman. You just have to! WOW!

The weekend is mercifully here! ¡Gracias a Dios!

16 comments:

Scot said...

Your return to work? I didn't realize you were away. Some friend I am.
If you like kids half as much as you like dogs then a teacher you should be. They're not giving our emergency credentials anymore, but you can probably find a position with your skills rather easily in SoCal. I'm sure Gary can tell you better than I can, but the first year of teaching can be quite grueling (and from Gary's post, the student teaching can be too depending on who's classroom you land in).

Anonymous said...

I've been stuck in a cubicle forever too...I'm so bored with it now but with the economy in the crapper I guess I just have to ride it out. I wish I had the degree under my belt but having kids and a naggy ex wife that wouldn't let me out of her site kinda put that on the back burner. I actually considered going to school and becoming a nurse more recently until I figured out I just couldn't do it with the finances a mess and the chaos in my life. I cant afford to take 2 years off from work for it! Child support still has to get paid! I want to get back to school someday soon! I see not having the degree really limits my income potential. Ugh I need a drink LOL!

Gary said...

You have me smiling a big, fat smile right now (and not just because you called me handsome and a stud :) but because you are thinking about teaching. Since it is something that you have had an interest in for quite some time it makes sense that you would look into it now, especially as you are unhappy with the office job. I took a class last year on bilingual education and I believe that dual language programs are against the law out there in California. That is so crazy but what can you do? There are ways around that issue. Also, teaching Spanish as a second language sounds fantastic. Out here (in NYC) you can sign up to be come a substitute teacher with a B.A. and start teaching permanently with the promise that you will get a Master's within 5 years. The rules/requirements are probably different in Callie but you should definitely check it out.

Thanks for making my night! (That is three comments so far...)

Rick Rockhill said...

ok I'll contribute to the comment pile up- hope you hit 20! Now, as far as those concert tix, you are so right. I usually only oay $$$ to see my girl Stevie Nicks, but I'm planning to shell out a few bucks for Bette Midler in Vegas in June...

oh one more thing- re: career-always follow your dream

Bobby D. said...

What a great post! and thank you for the link to the (thank you for saying it) half man half woman. I am a little tired of people saying OH! A pregnant MAN! How Shocking!

molly said...

coool post!
REM was my first concert, back when i was 8...as i can recall, it was quite good! though i was pretty tired by the end, it ended way past my bedtime!

sttropezbutler said...

AND STB made 7.

The Art of Trey said...

I'd go with TESOL. You'd be working with people who want to learn rather than a bunch of apathetic kids who'd rather bash your head in than listen to what you have to say. And a TESOL program would probably lead to better things down the road.
But I'm an unemployed college student who strips for cash, so what do I know!

M- Filer said...

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." Goethe

Not that I am some beacon of promise (trust me), but whenever I have wanted to achieve something that seemed overwhelming , or too much work, when I just blindly began it--like a dumb monkey--without considering anything beyond the next step, those are the times I achieved my goals. And it's because of the genuis, power and magic of taking bold steps. Go for it stud!

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I'm proud to say that my comment takes you to the 50% mark. Yes, that Gary is inspiring and studly, isn't he? Would you like to student teach with me to improve my Spanish? My problem is that I've learned most of it through travel so it's a hodgepodge of Guatemalan, Castilian, Andean and Oaxacan with a few Catalan words thrown in there. I'm planning for sabbatical this summer or fall, and a couple of coworkers are encouraging me to teach English in rural Japan which will mess me up even more.

Bobby D. said...

you would make a good teacher, Wat--your students would learn and have a caring teacher who has a sense of humor. Just think, you'd be the subject of so many conversations: "My teacher was so funny today, he..." and "I really like my teacher" and so forth.

dennis said...

Dennis says whatever your goats are, you are smart and can attain those goats.

Anonymous said...

You can begin your career change by doing what we discussed months and months ago...come teach me Espanol and I shall in return teach thee a few singing tricks. I'm dead serious.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I'm baaaaaack! -and #14 on the comment count - do we have 15?

I had a great time in the big apple. met gary and yes gary is truly inspirational as a teacher (I had the good fortune to see him in action!) and a total cutie!

wat, this is great post. thankfully have now caught up on your blog was away for over a week (although I loved the wander, I don't like really completely abandoning all my daily routines - like keeping up on the cyberhood) anyhow, I agree it's never to late to go for it - if you are truly interested in teaching, go for it. you would make a terrific teacher - you have a joie de vie that would stimulate kids and are very, very intelligent!

if you are interested in teaching sometimes you can get a teaching gig at a private school even if you don't have an education degree and once in can then work on getting credentialed to teach anywhere.... a girlfriend's daughter in the fall got a job teaching spanish at a quaker high school even though she only had a b.a. in some liberal arts (no teaching degree).

xxx

Unknown said...

Check it out, I am totally goin to the George show, YAY!

LBIC said...

I hear you on the Spanish. I really want to move to Europe and teach English as a second language. Maybe marry a gorgeous Italian and move to a vinyard. Anyways, when I was in high school I took Spanish for Spanish speakers classes. I was always asked why, since I spoke it fluently, but I always responded that they took English, so why shouldn't I take Spanish.