Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"DENY ME AND BE DOOMED."

I'm late to the game sometimes.

I just watched Madonna's I'm Going to Tell You a Secret documentary and it was purty good. Not as great as her original Truth or Dare documentary back in the early 90s when she truly ruled the world, but this was interesting nonetheless. Madonna seems much kinder and nicer this time around and definitely more spiritual. Her kids are quite beautiful. Her son Rocco is adorable. Little brat! And of course, it doesn't surprise me that the accompanying concert footage of her Re-Invention Tour is spectacular. As always, Madge is just amazing on stage. She should just die there when it's her time. She does a fantastic version of Like A Prayer too, and her live vocals generally sound good.

Ah, but the big discovery this past weekend for me was my first viewing of the 2001 musical/comedy/drama film Hedwig and the Angry Inch. It is wonderful to view something like this with no expectations and come away from it feeling like you just viewed something truly marvelous. This little movie is a gem; about a rock and roll drag queen with a botched-up genital operation who performs at small diners across America with her band while her rival has taken all her fame and glory. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a visual and musical feast; a sort of genderbending Moulin Rouge!

A funny, witty, creative, and most entertaining film based I believe on an original Broadway show; director/star John Cameron Mitchell is remarkable as the lead character Hedwig, who was born in East Germany back when there was still a Berlin Wall. He narrates his life experiences and the film brilliantly cuts to his performances of some wonderfully written songs. I loved the music so much so, that I had to download the entire soundtrack yesterday. It's that catchy; a hybrid most reminiscent of David Bowie and Elton John's early work.

This little movie is now about five years old. Where have I been? After seeing it without any prior hardcore knowledge, I went ahead and read the reviews, and without a doubt it was lauded and praised by many.

I can see why.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hedwig is a great movie. I've been wanting to see his follow up film, SHORTBUS, but missed it when it played here because of finals. Everyone says it's great.

Sebastien Millon said...

Oh yeah, I love that movie! Haven't heard of Shortbus, I'll have to try and check that out...

Anonymous said...

I like "I'm going to tell you a secret" a lot, and I thought it was a shame it wasn't released commercially in movie theaters.

I have put off seeing Hedwig I don't know why. Even my brother who hates musicals told me it is a great film. I will see it as soon as I can get a hold of it.

Anonymous said...

This makes me sound like such a snob, but the stage show was soooo much better. I had a friend tae me several years ago at the Henry Fonda Theater and knew nothing about it. I was blown away. There are elements from the stage show that wouldn't cross over, and parts in the movie that they got to ham up and extend upon that they couln't do on stage. Anyway, if it ever comes around, see it. I really like the music too.
Happy Boxing Day all.
Cheers

Gavin Elster said...

Scot,

Snob.

Hedwig is a great film.

M- Filer said...

"What's the difference between a pop star & a terrorist?" asked Madonna of one of her dancers in "I'm going to tell you a Secret"

"You can negotiate with a terrorist!"

Funny shit
I loved the whole thing, if she did another "Truth or Dare" , I wouldn't be into it now...I like how she has grown. I especially like the way she opened the show rising on a ascending platform from the bowels of the stage: wearing a corset, knee high boots, and a mike strapped to her head as she nailed "Vogue" oh yeah....and while doing a hand stand.Too hot!

Anonymous said...

Scotty,
Didn't say I didn't like the movie, just that the stage show was better. Just like I don't dislike toys, but a real cock is soooooooo much better.