Thursday, December 28, 2006

JAMES DEAN IS STILL DEAD.

When a loved one or good friend dies on you, it can obviously be devastating.

Celebrities, or well-known people can also impact our lives. Through their work or artistic achievements, we come to identify with them, as if we personally knew them. No matter how rich or famous though, they too eventually die, and it can feel like a tremendous loss for a fan. James Brown just died this week, and I personally feel it's quite sad, I can't imagine what a true fan of his work must be feeling.

When JFK was shot back in 1963, the whole country mourned for days. Millions shed tears for Kennedy, as if they personally knew him, even though to most he was only a picture in the newspaper or image on television. Judy Garland attracted large crowds too, as did the death of Elvis. There was the murder of John Lennon back in 1980 and the tremendous outpouring of love from millions the world over who mourned that man like a dead brother; there were even two actual documented cases of suicide following his death. To this day, Lennon's death really bothers and saddens me, for he was part of my favorite band ever; listening to his voice in songs is not only beautiful, but hauntingly tragic at times.

Not many Americans had heard of Selena, but she became an overnight household name when she was senselessly killed by that bloated bitch back in 1995. There she was, the Queen of Tejano music on the verge of making a huge English-language crossover and at 23 years of age, was stupidly cut short. Like JFK, most Hispanics can remember where they were on that awful day. It truly was a shock. Princess Di's death was a big big deal too. Millions mourned her, like I had never seen before, maybe too much so! I love Elton John, but I could not stand that awful version of Candle in the Wind he re-released with new lyrics. UGH! And so many people bought that single; the best-selling single ever. But I did watch the funeral, as did over one billion people on Earth. I also watched Mother Teresa's funeral. I admired that lady lots. I think she did lots of good while here, and proved to be as close to a saint as humanly possible.

John Kennedy Jr. flew his plane into the sea and my mother cried and cried over that guy. "Era tan guapo", she kept saying, "He was so handsome." Just two months or so after my father's death and that shitty 9/11, another Beatle, George Harrison died of cancer. I was really depressed over that. NOT ANOTHER BEATLE! I was real upset when Nell Carter passed away. I grew up watching Gimme A Break! as a kid. I remember crying at Reagan's funeral, 'cause I felt so bad for Nancy clinging onto his coffin. Maybe I'm just a big sap.

But so it goes man. That's life. That's the way it is. We must never forget that these people we admire or look up to are humans too. Flawed in many ways despite their enormous talents or contributions, and most certainly mortal. Like a cherished individual we personally know and care for, a noted personality we identify with can also sadden us greatly when they enter immortality.

George Harrison was right. All Things Must Pass:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndXJTQwazIc

5 comments:

G-Man said...

I wonder if I'll cry when Paris Hilton dies? Here's to finding out sooner rather than later...

Anonymous said...

It was sad to see that President Ford died. I remember him as president. But he was old and had lived a full life.

I would have danced and celebrated if it had been Bush...

Troy said...

I love that photo of james dean.

Eddie said...

I remember spending some time with my uncle in New Jersey and him coming into my bedroom and asking me why I had such a large calendar of James Dean on my wall...

Needless to say, that was the year I came out to my Uncle. He hugged me and said that I was "manly" for a homo, and I cracked up and had a beer with him.

Loved this article... my favorite so far. Love ya kid!! Besos.

Sebastien Millon said...

Death is such a difficult subject (obviously!). Not since I was little have I given it much thought, although my illness has shocked me into realizing anything can happen at any moment. The worst is when celebrities or anybody dies young, that's always the most tragic to me.