Monday, March 14, 2005

Nous sommes dans la merde!

Yeah so I took four years of French back in high school (what about 13 years ago or so?), and I was pretty good and learned a lot. Knowing another language based on Latin (Spanish at home) helped me tremendously to pick up French quickly back then. However, due to its limited use in California, I had all but shelved the language of Paris for the past twelve years or so.

That is, until I started working at my current job, which looks like the roster of the United Nations or something to that effect. Here I ran into a social worker who understood my French perfectly, but who wouldn't answer me due to her forgetting how to speak it. She told me though I had an impeccable accent, as did another visitor to our office from Vietnam who said I spoke very well. Just about six months ago, I found the true hammer to my nail, my co-worker Alex, who speaks French very well after learning it in school alongside English back in Iraq. We have never ceased to speak it since, and in just these past few months, all the French I thought I'd forgotten has come back beautifully! It's amazing! I'm so excited to be practicing it once again and to be so fluent, more than I ever thought possible!

Too bad those uppity conceited frogs in Europe gave us the language, but oh well. Everything one learns is never in vain, and can always come back to help you one day.

Europe here I come! When? I dunno, but soon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

3 comments:

Angie_C said...

remember ms houser??
jeezus where did the time go?!?
I took 3 years, and I can understand some but I can't speak a word, well maybe just not a sentence...

WAT said...

Ah yeah, Ms. Houser. Then in high school it was Mr. Bass for two years and my final year of French was with Ms. Spadafora. Ah, those were the days...

Angie_C said...

omg yeah Mr Bass and the gay way he would move his glasses on his face.
and he was always eating before class
always picking his teeth COCHINO!
I had all of them 1 year each :)