Tuesday, January 23, 2007

AND THE NOMINEES ARE...

OK!

The nominations for the Oscars (a.k.a. the Gay Superbowl), were announced this morning here in Hollywood, CA of course, and I am quite pleased to see such a diverse list this time around! Last year, the big movie I was rooting for of course, was BrokeHISback MounTINGHIM, which won big awards, but ended up losing the Best Picture to that horrible Crash. This year, I got several favs I'd like ta see win.

I have to admit, I have not seen many of the films and actors nominated, but I'm happy to see the nomination for Alan Arkin as Best Supporting Actor in Little Miss Sunshine. He is so funny in the role of a cantankerous grandfather in that film. Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls for Best Supporting Actress; this girl has the voice and star quality Beyoncé could only wish she had. HAHA! I'm happy to see Penélope Cruz nominated for Best Actress in Volver; she won't win due to Helen Mirren's role in The Queen, but Cruz was so good in an otherwise decent movie. And way ta go Al Gore! His documentary on global warming, An Inconvenient Truth is nominated as Best Documentary, as is the song by Melissa Etheridge, which is actually quite good I must say.

Ah! But the big big nominee for me here is? Pan's Labyrinth. Six nominations! SIX! And in major major categories too, including Best Foreign Language Film, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, and Best Cinematography. Wow. Would've been nice to see the little girl Ivana Baquero and director Guillero Del Toro nominated too, but it's too competitive a race I guess. Still, the movie has been noticed, and deservedly so. Here's hoping it wins big; at least as Best Foreign Film.

I may go see other nominated films and stuff, but don't bet on it. Going to the movies is expensive and I'm liking DVDs now so much betta.

Full list of nominees and other information is here:


http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/01/23/D8MR1A1O1.html

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-01-23T143304Z_01_N23237898_RTRUKOC_0_US-OSCARS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

http://www.oscar.com/nominees/

6 comments:

Gavin Elster said...

Good! Now maybe this will open studios up to doing films that have some artistic merrit instead of the ususal TALADAGA NIGHTS bullcrap.

M- Filer said...

Ya know, this is a pretty weak group for "Best Picture". I saw & liked 3 of the 5 noms , but best picture? Nahhhh.

Eddie said...

The Oscars have always seemed a bit ho-hum to me, as the films are chosen by an Academy that consists of 85-year-old has-beens who are fascinated with everything foreign. Not all black and white sub-titled movies deserve the praise they receive...

Pan's Labyrinth... nice surprise!

Anonymous said...

I hope whats her name will win for the Queen. From what Ive seen it was a good performance.

Troy said...

i was sitting in the jacuzzi with charles hunnam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hunnam
at my gym. he is so hot and was so nice to me. we were bullshitting for an hour and then I asked him what he did for a living and he said he was an actor. Then I rolled my eyes and I said, eveyones an actor. I asked him if he was in any movies and he said "children of men". So I hope it wins. He was so nice to me.

Sebastien Millon said...

Couldn't believe Crash won last year. It was alright but I don't think it should have won. I haven't seen many of the films this year, I really want to see Pan's Labyrinth.