Wednesday, January 31, 2007

WAT'S LIST OF THE TOP TEN GREATEST ROCK SONGS EVER.

Oh boy. This was not easy at all. But I managed to think profoundly about my list of what I consider to be the top ten greatest rock songs of all time. I've got 'em all linked for you (just click on each song title) through YouTube; that is, if that website ain't down for maintenance yet again! In no particular order, just because all these songs are amazing pieces of recorded sound:

1) A Day in the Life by The Beatles-The band that changed the face of music forever, especially with this masterpiece. John Lennon never sang so hauntingly and more beautifully than here, with McCartney's playful marijuana bridge, Ringo's underrated drumming and two incredible orchestral crescendos, one of which leads to a final earth-shattering 30-second piano chord that stays embedded in your brain long after the track is finished. Simply memorable.

2) Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd-If they had only recorded this song, this white trash Southern band would've done more than enough. A terrific ballad, which then switches into an amazing fast-paced guitar solo which seems to last into eternity.

3) Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones- A lyrically rich and catchy tune. Nice guitar work by Keith Richards and I love me dem WOOWOO background vocals. This is the Stones at their best indeed. And Jaggger of course, always the great flamboyant rock front man.

4) Where The Streets Have No Name by U2- Is it the glorious sounding organ? Is it The Edge strumming that guitar with the band's imcomparable signature sound? Bono's tremendous voice? I dunno, but this song starts and ends in such a way that stirs my soul. And bonus points to U2, for the video was filmed in my hometown!

5) Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen- Ah yes. No doubt here by most that this is a true work of art in every way. Freddie Mercury sings like an angel, Brian May's guitar is terrific, and we all just love this song because it goes through so many key changes. Is this a ballad? An opera? A hard rock tune? We don't really know, nor care, we just know it's brilliant.

6) All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix-This song was written by the brilliant Bob Dylan who sings and performs his own material horribly. In the hands of rock's greatest guitarist of all time however, this song becomes magic. Gorgeous guitar work throughout; how could it not, right? It was after all, Hendrix.

7) Hotel California by The Eagles- To this day, I'm not really into this band, but I cannot deny this beautiful song. Don Henley sings and drums just right, Joe Walsh and Dan Felder play some mean badass guitar. How can ya not picture my great home state of California when listening to this fine tune? I can see the mission bells now...

8) Pinball Wizard by The Who-This comes from the rock opera Tommy, and stands well on its own as a very powerful rock song. Pete Townshend does some nifty guitar work here, Roger Daltrey's powerful vocals never sounded better, and rock's greatest drummer, Mr. Keith Moon all do an awesome job in telling the story of a very good pinball machine player.

9) Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd- I was torn between this and another Floyd tune called Time, but chose this in the end realizing how truly haunting and disturbing this song about drug abuse is, and how pretty it all sounds despite its bleak message. It's as if you've entered some sort of melancholy dream, and David Gilmour's guitar solo is oh so good.

10) Dazed and Confused by Led Zeppelin- Yeah yeah, I didn't choose Stairway to Heaven, only because it's so overplayed and I'm sick of it. Now this, THIS IS A GRAND ROCK SONG! Bluesy at first, then come some cool heavy metalesque key changes. Robert Plant's got some strong pipes, Jimmy Paige seemingly plays the guitar with his eyes closed, and John Bonham (a rock drumming genius) does the best drumming of all the songs on this list. Alls I can say is: WOW!

There were some close runner-ups: Guns N' Roses with Sweet Child O' Mine, AC/DC with You Shook Me All Night Long, Boston with More Than a Feeling, and Van Halen with Jump. Damnit, Barracuda by Heart is another awesome rock classic. I also considered songs by Aerosmith, The Doors, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Black Sabbath, John Lennon, and George Harrison; not to forget tunes by Nirvana, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, or Pearl Jam which were the superior rock bands of the 1990s. And out of this strange odd emo decade? Well, I had Jimmy Eat World, Green Day, and The Killers in mind, each whom have produced some amazing rock songs in the past six years.

But alas, I had to narrow it down. And so I did. This list o' mine though is purely subjective of course.


Seems like everyone has their own top ten list.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... I always have to question lists that include U2....

Eddie said...

Baracuda by Heart and The Doors in general are list-worthy, but as for your list... I think Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd is a masterpiece. The music, the lyrics... amazing.

Love ya kid!

Besos

Anonymous said...

I'm more into the close runner-ups than most of your top 10, but then you're older than me, aren't you? (Yes, I've always got to be the bitch/snob)

Sebastien Millon said...

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of U2, but I like most of these other songs. Haven't heard these songs in a long time.

JoeBlogs said...

Philip pullmans new film should be good.

M- Filer said...

I like your list. I mass produced a top ten rock CD and gave them as Christmas gifts in 2005. Like your list, my collection has The Who, Jimmy Hendrix,The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin WHOLE LOTTA LOVE!.
Can't believe I overlooked Queen. Good call.
Additionally in my collection:
~ACDC
(Back in Black)
~Bad Company
(Feel Like Making Love)
~Jeffersen Airplane
(Somebody to Love)
~The Grateful Dead
(Truck'in)
~Aerosmith
(Dream On)

Troy said...

3,5,6,9. you should of been born in the 50's