Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"I DON'T SHUT UP, I GROW UP, AND WHEN I LOOK AT YOU, I THROW UP!"

There was a little film that came out back in 1986 called Stand By Me, which I got to see on video when it was first released, and it still stands as one of my favorite movies ever.

I'm pretty sure most of you have seen it by now. It's the very simple story of four good friends who live in a quiet rural town in Oregon, who spend the last days of their summer vacation looking for the body of a dead boy in order to get their names in the newspaper. I watched the film at a very crucial time in my life, for just as they main characters in the movie were about to start junior high, so was I as a matter of fact, which is why I have forever held the film in such high esteem.

The four main child stars are nothing short of superb in their roles. Wil Wheaton plays Gordie Lachance: a sensitive, shy, and highly intelligent kid who loves his elementary school loser foul-mouthed friends in order to be cool. The late great River Phoenix plays Chris Chambers, a real tough, yet good-hearted guy who is Gordie's best friend. Corey Feldman plays the insane and hilarious Teddy Duchamp, who can snap at a moment's notice, and there's fat crybaby Vern Tessio, played by the now handsome Jerry O'Connell. All four of them come from dysfunctional homes, smoke, cuss incessantly, and play off each other beautifully. Credit the terrific direction by "meathead" Rob Reiner and script writers Raynold Gideon and Bruce Evans for this astoundingly wonderful film, which is surprisingly based on a short story by horror writer Stephen King.

The film evokes the 1950's in its look and amazing soundtrack and takes the viewer back to a time that must've been pretty great in America, though those living then probably didn't see it that way. A true classic and masterpiece, Stand By Me is one of those films I just never tire of. Full of great lines, dialogue, humor, true drama and a great villainous performance by Kiefer Sutherland, this is a film that will live on for generations; as American as apple pie.

If you haven't yet seen it, please wear a mask in public to hide your shame until you do view the film.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed one of my faves as well. Fond memories of watching this when I was a kid. I was about the same age as them when the film came out and could relate alot with River's charachter. I havent watched it in a while.

Maritza said...

That is a great movie. It's a simple American classic written by Stephen King. I wish he would write more stories like this.

Anonymous said...

I am full of shame. I've never seen this... but I've been meaning to, hopefully that cuts down on the shame factor.

Troy said...

every year i stop by the viper room on halloween and stick a yellow rose to the door. When I was 14 yo I came within minutes of a D.O.A. from an overdose. The grim reaper has a funny way of chosing it's victims. I guess he didn't like me. That is one friend I can honestly say I don't want around me. Happy fuckin heavenoween. too many straights in weho on halloween

Anonymous said...

... and then your mother goes around the corner and she licks it up.

Finding new and preferably disgusting ways to degrade a friend's mother was always held in high regard.

...
definitely one of my all time favourite movies ... and books ... if you've not read "The Body" from Four Seasons, check it out.

meanwhile, check out this stand by me link ...
http://www.ci.brownsville.or.us/
There used to be a good site that showed some of the best location shots, but i see they've gone to a membership only site :(

if you haven't checked out wil wheaton's blog ... he does talk about stand by me periodically.

Anonymous said...

Truly a stellar movie. I have met Wil Wheaton and read his blog every day http://wilwheaton.typepad.com

He is a very nice 34-year-old man with a wife and two stepsons, and he speaks of "Stand By Me" with great affection.

Eddie said...

That movie effing rocked. A sweet coming-of-age movie that displayed the enourmous talent of River Pheonix...

From a fellow Latino, keep up the interesting topics. Don't fold to the norm buddy. I don't.

Laterz pa