Wednesday, November 15, 2006

SAY NO TO DRUGS AND ALCOHOL...WELL, SORTA.

I always wondered why people liked drugs and alcohol so much...THAT was before I turned 28 however, and discovered the reasons myself.

Ya see, hanging around certain beloved friends at bars does lead to peer pressure, and well, I encountered alcohol alright. All my precious little innocent naive life, I had stayed away from the stuff, never realizing the nice buzz and serenity it could actually create. It works very well with someone like myself who suffers from anxiety disorder in really mellowing me out. The unfortunate side of alcohol for me however, is that it can actually make my anxiety worse once it wears off and leave me more depressed than I already normally am. It turns my highly existential wasteland of a mind and leaves me more screwed up, which is why I have not become an alcoholic. This is a good thing! I can drink very little and in moderation, but I gotta be careful not to overdo it! Keeps me in check baby. No AA meetings for me anytime soon.

Even more recently is my newfound relationship with marijuana. Yeah. The stuff is amazing really. The first few times it made me rather paranoid, but subsequent experiences with this herb have been rather gratifying. It certainly mellows me out considerably and makes me extremely hungry, which is great for a thin dude like myself who can afford to eat! I also love the fact that unlike alcohol, the chronic is actually very good to my stomach and leaves me with no strange or awful hangover the next day. And sex on pot? ARE U KIDDING ME?! THAT IS SOME AMAZING SHIT! Talk about incredible longlasting orgasms! I mean, it's enough to make yer toes curl, eyes pop out, and maybe even burst a vein or two in yer head.

Yeah, but besides all the sex and munching on cannabis, the most satisfying aspect of the drug has got to be listening to music. I don't know where tha hell I've been, but the stuff on my iPod never sounded so gloriously good than when stoned. No wonder so many teenage boys would lock themselves in their rooms in the 60s and 70s and get high. Listening to The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Gorillaz, and anything modern with lots of sound effects like Madonna's last album whilst high is downright mindblowing; every instrument sounds crystal clear, vocals are enhanced, and the songs just make perfect sense!

Yes. I finally get it. So much music was inspired by pot and even stronger drugs obviously. I have been slow to learn all these facts most of ye readers figured out when in your teens. I obviously led a very sheltered closeted life. In more ways than one, haha!

I fear anything more hardcore like crystal meth, cocaine, or acid. Those substances sound too consuming and destructive, although so many across America are seriously abusing them, including people I know, which has me kind of worried.

I understand now why: why so many use and abuse. It makes one happy. It makes one forget the reality of our banal existences. For that brief moment, one feels in control. One feels able to do it all. There is no fear. There is no self-doubt or low self-esteem. Being buzzed/drunk or high liberates so many from the pressures of daily life. Yes, I see why, but am in no way advocating anyone to use, much less abuse these drugs, for there can be terrible consequences if taken too far.

So yeah, once or twice a month I may continue trying some pot here and there without becoming a full time stoner and just sit back and relax. Hey,the Native Americans did it (or was that peyote?), so it's cool okay? Moderation is key.

Bring on the Pink Floyd.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so understand. Ha.

Anonymous said...

I know what you are talking about regarding pot, but, for some reason I was never sucked into making it a habit. And I think I prefer eating it in cookies. I am always a mess when I smoke (by the way, I smoked a cigar for the the first time yesterday and nobody told me I shouldn't really inhale for too long; I am still sick). Well, I really don't understand why pot is not completely legal everywhere, what is the big deal?? The maker of prozac is probably involved.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my purple haze, Wil. I have always been an advocate of legalizing pot - but have not been able to partake in many moons. IMHO, I think there are many more advantages than hazards. The real crime is how expensive it is now. In my day (I've waited all my life to use that phrase....), it was only $10.00 for a five-finger bag. Far-out.

Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since I smoked, but it was always enjoyable. I've known people who've had problems with pot though (yeah kinda weird), but it sounds like you're taking it easy and not smoking every day which is good.

Anonymous said...

Tsk.. Tsk.. Tsk...

Excuses... Excuses.

Alcohol tastes like swill and piss.
Its really expensive too. I've been around hardcore drinker friends and really never caved into to peer presure.

As far as pot. . . It's another waste of money. Hey if it "works" for you. . . well . . . if your happy.

It's a real shame people think that by using these substances that they can really appreciate music, art, etc. It is a really sad fact, that you have not entered a new reality or anything your poor deluded fools.
The reasons why things may sound sooo.... good is simple. You've impared your senses, the music sounds "better" becuase the remaining senses are try to compensate. That's rights kiddies you have entered higher state... you've lowered it. It's like a computer running on low ram.... it can be a trip... just not the recommended one.

As far as the more hardcore substances... hey... you wanna fund illicit and illegal activities go ahead. I really hope you people all O.D. because you are truly all a waste of life and space. Sorry.. people like these have NO REDEEMING QUALITIES.

That's just my too sense. I am not saying I am holier than thou, but it is just my opinion I am sharing.

Anonymous said...

i really really really really need to detox myself after reading your post. my self-destructive abuse has taken it's toll on me. the light is getting dimmer.

M- Filer said...

I have been on both sides of the fence, so I feel like I "get" the whole trip. Pot created a very safe feeling for me, I loved to occaisionally wake & Bake, listen to some great music etc, go to the gym and do a low impact work out or whatever, but I let it escalate to harder drugs when I lived in New York City and it ruled me, yup I was powerless....and now I am 4 years sober. Completely. I do miss it from time to time, but mostly my senses have opened up in ways I never imagined. Reality, my own reality, is where it's at for me now.

Gavin Elster said...

Pot does nothing but make me sick. I have chalked it up to some sort of allergic reaction. I throw up almost every time I smoke out. Now slip a glass pipe in my hand and thats another story. Damn my stomach growled just typing that.

Eddie said...

If you visit my recent archives, you'll see for yourself the love-affair I have with everything GREEN. Weed has been a staple in my life since my 18th birthday and has become a close buddy...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a damn hard worker and take pride in what I do, but I choose to pick up an evening joint instead of an evening drink, like so many Americans do...

Sorry to hear about the anxiety (my sis suffers from it) but it's crucial that you keep it recreational. Some people who suffer from anxiety fall victim to substance abuse... sorta like self-medicating...

I absolutely loved how you conveyed your experience with alcohol and weed. You had me laughing and I even held my stomach at one part...

And yes, I am the manly type.

Eddie said...

Listen Lauren, recreational use of marijuana is something that's not going to end the world. Anything in moderation is completely benign.

It's the human nature to want to explore and try new things, so not everyone is as textbook as you. Experimenting with different situations and items (not just drugs) just shows that you are of a character of it's own. Some of the best lyrics to those classic albums you feverishly listen to have been written by people who were under the influence...

Again, I'm not a drug pusher by any means, but geez... living life in such a closed box can lead to death too... LMAO

Don't take things so seriously, especially if you're an intelligent person. It would be a waste of an experience in the whole...

Love you WAT!!

Eddie said...

My bad... I meant to type LOREN.

Anonymous said...

Hello from India! I totally feel what ur tryin to say. Here in India, a roll of pot (good for 5 bars or mayb more) costs just Rs. 50 (approx $1). Comparing it to alcohol I would definitely side with pot - cost-wise and high-wise. But be careful. Heavy usage might cause addiction... well not the real chemical addiction but psychological addiction. But its easy to lay off pot just the same.

I say, don't get scared of trying new stuff out as long as you know what you're doing. Pot is, to an extent, harmless. Anything higher-up the ladder is well-left untried.

To all the pot-smoking people out there... wassup... :->

Anonymous said...

Funny....

Who's inside of the box? Myself... or the deluded individual trapped by substance abuse. I am by no means a person who lives trapped in a box or "conventionalism".
It is a falicy that many of the music listen too or literature that I read is a result of substance abuse. It is a myth propigated by substance abusers to give their lifestyle choice some vailidity.

I do agree, having an open mind and disposition do show one charcter.
Yet, that does not mean I have to be ignorant ot blind to what things are. Like I said, if poeple want to do these things go ahead. I am just providing the opposing arguement for balance. I am not hear to change anyone's mind (in all honesty who could I?). Just ahring my opinion.

Unknown said...

You know, I really think its like this. I drink when Im sad sometimes and I know its for the wrong reasons. I find myself drinking because alot of my friends do it and I like to join in. I can sometimes go overboard on the drinking especially when Im doing shots. I just wrote about this on my blog.
Drugging, yea I have done my share however it never was a huge problem with me, I always realised it wasnt reality and didnt crave any kind of drug it was more recreatinal. I rarely do any kind of drug anymore. Its an escape and I think there are certain people out there that love the feeling of it so much they cant stop.