Friday, November 03, 2006

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

For a country that suffered such a devastating terrorist attack on 9/11/01, I often see that many have still not learned the valuable lesson of loving thy neighbor, nor the fact that life is truly brief. Why must there still be so many people that act stupid and mean to each other? WHY?! This is America damnit! WHY ARE WE STILL FULL OF SO MANY ASSHOLES?!

People in traffic can be so mean and nasty: they cut you off, show ya the finger, or don't allow you to merge. At work: other fellow employees will report you, supervisors will stupidly call you on ridiculous trivialities instead of noticing your good work, and there's constant issues with clients and customers coming off the street. Family can sometimes be your worst enemy too, which is why many people choose their friends as family, due to relatives always meddling or trying to tear ya to pieces. Ya try to say hello to a neighbor, and they don't respond back, even though they clearly heard you, yet they pretend not to have and give you the cold shoulder.

I just want to understand why it is so hard for some people to be kind. What's so hard about a simple smile or hello? Why not try and be nice to other fellow human beings? Why must the human species always feel the need to look down on others? Is it in our nature to be competitive? Dominant? Condescending? Combative? Racist? Selfish? Greedy? Envious? Is it in our genes to always listen to our egos and feel superior, instead of letting go? Must our insecurities translate to hurting others?

I dunno. I'm sure I'm guilty from time to time of being an asshole myself, but I often only use it as a defense mechanism, not as a way of starting out nor maintaining my relations with anyone. I am one of those people who will smile or say hello to a stranger and tries to be as down-to-earth as possible. Yet time and time again, I run into a vast sea of negative humanity, and it truly disappoints me. It makes me quite sad that people have not yet mastered the true meaning of life.

We were put onto this planet to be kind, to serve, and to help and love one another. But yet, we waste so much of it fighting, bickering, insulting, degrading, and demoralizing others, and for what? FOR WHAT?! Does humanity not see that our time on this Earth is limited? That we shall all get sick and die eventually? That at the rate our planet is being destroyed and resources being used up, that our existence as a species is in severe danger? I just don't enjoy conflict whatsoever, nor wasting my time with negativity. I often realize the big picture, which many I feel just don't. It really isn't that hard to be nice people. Ya don't have to act like a fake 1950's perfect housewife, but at least try to show some love and respect to another fellow adult like you would to a puppy or newborn child.

This all probably sounds overly corny and cheesy, but I have written it from the heart. I am severely disappointed in us as a species. For many reasons. God bless those who try and make a difference and treat their fellow human with respect and love as much as possible; they seem to be a rare and precious commodity these days.

It reminds me of a saying I often hear in Spanish:
"Entre más conozco a la humanidad, más quiero a mi perro."

Which means:

"The more I get to know humanity, the more I love my dog."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, people generally suck. But instead of letting it get you down, just try to keep smiling. Maybe someone will appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Love that quote at the end, you can always find peace from your loving dog!

I understand what you say, but I've mentioned it before. I find a lot more hope and happiness in the people that break the exception to all those terrible things, one person being truly kind and humane wipes out 20 others trangressions. Well, it depends of course, but I guess I'm an optimist who tries to focus on the good. Certainly not always easy...

Kill 'em with kindness...

Anonymous said...

It's so true, Wil.... the absence of kindness becomes staggering sometimes. But don't give up - keep being respectful, keep smiling, keep loving.... it will all come back to you sometime. I am not the best person I can be every day, but each time I wake up there is fresh hope that I will achieve it. My favorite saying is a line from a poem... "if equal affection cannot be... let the more loving one be me". Don't let the mean-spirited persons drag you down.

Gavin Elster said...

A great post. You made me think about my motivation and interaction with others. I'm pretty selfish. I'm not as nice as i should be. But then again... like you, its is a defense thing.
Yes people suck. dont Smile and try to be happy if your not. Thats bullshit. Fake smiling does not force a real emotion to surface. What ya can do is look for the good in things. (harder than it sounds and it sounds pretty tough) each day brings something wonderful... mainly little things but wonderful all the same. Your post was wonderful and it made my day to see I'm not alone in may rage and disgust at humanity.

M- Filer said...

I think I might be one of the high maintenance pricks you refer to in your post. That was a powerful post, I'll try harder because of it.

I do appreciate humanity, and I am not blind to random acts of kindness, so keep on doing what your doing, it is noticed by more people than you can imagine.

Troy said...

i watched the paperback writer video and it doesnt look like it was filmed at the observatory.

Unknown said...

Thats some food for thought. Its true the world is full of assholes.