Monday, November 17, 2008

IT WAS ALWAYS BURNING SINCE THE WORLD'S BEEN TURNING...

It seems that every year now we're hit with these annoying fires in the hills surrounding L.A. and all around Southern California, and the ones this weekend really messed up the air quality. That gross sweet acrid smell is still in the air, and my eyes are watery, burning, and I got nasal issues. UGH! Lots of people feel shitty today, and it's worse for those who lost homes! That dry hot windy air spells nothing but trouble, and as more and more people live near all this brush, the worse these destructive fires get; we hardly get any real rain anyway!

I didn't go protest on Saturday, but the good news is my mother may be softening her opposition to gay marriage. Mind you, her old-f
ashioned religious Hispanicosity might rear its ugly head at any moment, but she seemed to be more compassionate over the weekend; a news story about some young Ecuadorian immigrant who was tragically murdered just because he was Latino and gay really upset her. She seemed to really mull over and consider what my brother's roomie said about hospital visits and how gay marriage would help make that much easier for a couple, if one of the partners was in there dying. And then she totally agreed with me when I said that we had bigger problems in this world/on this planet to worry about than people's personal lives. With these fires, other natural disasters, our economy in shambles, global warming, and humankind's continuing stupidity, we sure as hell got our hands full of REAL issues to be preoccupied about. She seemed to agree as we both bit into our hamburgers Saturday evening. LOL! She probably felt bad too that last Thursday whilst at my brother's place, I pointed at her and loudly declared, "That woman over there hates gay people", as she washed the dishes! AHAHAHAH! She immediately got defensive and said, "No, I dun't!" in true Ricky Ricardo fashion.

Congrats to comedian Wanda Sykes! It takes g
uts sista, but good for you!

I like this cartoon. It made me chuckle:

5 comments:

Gary said...

Dear Wat,
I have been away from your blog, well commenting on your blog (I have been reading) for too long now. In a blog funk of sorts as I am pulled in many other directions. However, I hope to remedy that by reading and commenting on ALL of your past posts. :)

Good for your mom. They say the way to bring others around is through compassion, patience and love. So, be gentle with her. It takes a while to change the views you were taught as a child.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Even though we get our share, Nor Cal has been much luckier this season on fires, despite the nasty ones in Napa and Angel Island. Hope you are safe through the challenging days down south.

dit said...

And that my friend, is exactly how we change one mind at a time. Good for her.

I live on the westside and my car was covered in ash this morning. 8-(. Thoughts go out to those who are effected by the fires.

Gledwood said...

how come you get the fires in winter time? does it never rain in CA? or what??

one American I met told me California is practically a desert and the only reason anything grows (bar cacti) is because of IRRIGATION...

is this true?

RAD said...

fire fire fire--we have freinds in the area that the fire ripped through and our hearts and blessings are with them...

We didnt make it to Seattles Demo on Prop 8 on Sat and we felt bad...we planned to but so much going on..it was a good turn out which is good.