Tuesday, December 08, 2009

"THE DREAM IS OVER."

29 years ago tonight, one of the saddest days ever--the tragic murder of songwriting master, John Lennon! MY GOD MAN! Where have the years gone?! Lennon could have technically still been alive; he'd be 69 years old, but alas it was not meant to be as that psychopathic slimeball ended Lennon's life by cruelly gunning him down outside his famous apartment building in New York City. I was much too young to remember this most devastating event, but grew up always sadly knowing that John had been viciously murdered, and that the music world would never be the same without him. A simple man from Liverpool, England, Lennon achieved worldwide greatness and fame as the undisputed founder and visionary of his timeless group, The Beatles, and went on to have an equally brilliant solo career. Only Paul McCartney remains as the greatest songwriter alive. Yes, Lennon is the other, now dead genius, whose music forever lives on. R.I.P. John.

Yours truly and great admirer and fan...

Love,

WAT






7 comments:

Gledwood said...

They say he had found a new Chinese girl by then, but still being married to the Yoko, she got all the $100,000,000 fortune!!

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I am old enough to remember that day well, and it was very sad. Many say it was when the 1980s began, and few weeks later Reagan entered the White House. Bleh.

mkf said...

i remember the surreality of that night--frantic end of first semester second year, all-nighters every night.

he wasn't supposed to die--hell, he'd just come back from the dead, released a fine new album and was on the way to the bigger and better we all naturally expected of him.

we gathered at our friend and resident lennon-freak rick's place, cued up "mother" over and over again as we raised a glass each time the needle dropped, drank ourselves into commode-hugging insensibility.

mkf said...

...until the sun came up.

Gary said...

This is one of those moments that you remember hearing about. I was in my first year of college and remember everyone really being devastated by his murder. When I was older and living in NYC I went to the Dakota and the impact of what happened there was very powerful. So sad. Tragic. It does not matter if someone is a fan or not the circumstances are horrific. A great loss to the world yes, but also to his family.

alice said...

I am so behind in catching up with your blogs..... my humble apologies. It used to be easier to keep track of when you wrote because there was a notice on myspace - but you don't do that anymore. I have to actually remember to go to your website. And I'm old. I'm supposed to trust my memory?????

Anyway.... I've missed your writing, and this post was one of the reasons. When Lennon was killed, we were all in shock. It was like a member of our family, or a close friend, had been snatched from us, and we didn't know how to channel those feelings. I grew up with the Beatles and they influenced so many of my life choices. It was crazy and horrible, and I will never forget it. It's like that question of my generation - "Do you remember where you were when you heard JFK was killed?" I vividly remember where I was when I heard about John. Still so sad.

T-Bird said...

culturally somethign died that day and the door opened to right wing darkness.