Friday, January 29, 2010

IT'S WINTER, BUT I GOT DONNA SUMMER ON MY MIND.

Can someone please explain to me when Apple is going to stop marketing YET ANOTHER one of their "must-have" trendy products? Now it's the iPad?! This is starting to get ridiculous. Yeah, I got an iPod back in 2004, but then came the six billion upgrades which I never kept up with, then came the iPhone and its upgrades, and now we got Steve Jobs shoving this new iPad down our throats. ANYTHING to get us to spend our hard-earned money on a gadget that none of us really need! Greedy American capitalism rears its ugly head yet again. And of course, the masses will buy this piece of junk and make more money for this company! BALONEY!

So I always knew Do
nna Summer was pretty popular back in the day, but I had no idea just how truly remarkably BIG and influential she was, and quite a sexy bitch too! Girl sold lots and lots of albums and had four #1 singles! Not bad Donna, not bad at all! Upon reading her bio, I learned she went to Europe early on in her career, and lived in Germany for quite some time! Her last name was originally Gaines, but she married some Austrian dude last-named Sommer, so she Anglicized it to what we now know her as today. Her first major album was recorded in Europe, and her first hit single was "Love to Love You Baby", which was considered shocking at the time because it featured Donna moaning and groaning as if in sexual ecstasy. Her single, "I Feel Love", is considered by many a landmark song that influenced many artists. And well, the rest is history as Donna came out with her other famous hits such as "Last Dance", "Hot Stuff", "Bad Girls", and that very famous duet with Barbra Streisand. Donna deservedly earned her eternal title of "The Queen of Disco." She could definitely sing; those were some powerful pipes.

So let's imagine those bygone days of that hedonistic disco palace Studio 54, and we're really hot and they allow us in to dance the night away:



7 comments:

Unknown said...

You might be interested to know that as a born-again Christian, Donna no longer performs "Love to Love You, Baby" live anymore.

And just what the hell does an iPad do??? For women it evokes a very creepy connotation, I must say.

A Lewis said...

Those new products can get a little overwhelming...the "must haves." I told someone yesterday that I couldn't see any particular reason for me to have one. Nope. No thanks. Life needs to be more simple.

Rick Rockhill said...

I think Donna is swell. I miss her on the charts tho. I suppose I'll always be an 80's child.

Gary said...

Oh man, Donna Summer was so hot back when I was a teen. I remember my art teacher talking about 'I Feel Love' and my brother and I made a recording of it in which we just moan. He totally yelled at me during it though because I was doing it wrong. Is there a wrong way to moan? I had the "On the Radio" poster hanging in my bedroom as well. She had many popular tunes but my favorite was "Dim All The Lights" cause I loved to hold that long note.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Talking to Apple enthusiasts is like talking to Right-to-Lifers. There is no middle ground with them. I have had a few Apple products and have had mixed luck with them, more bad than good. However, I am in no rush to buy an iPad.

Unknown said...

It depends on your needs. The iPad is something I can use for work. An electronic note pad on steroids. I do so much with my iPhone, but the screen gets pretty small for some things. Plus, it integrates with Apple's iWork - that means you'll be able to cart around MS Word and Excel documents without lugging around a computer. Oh yeah, .pdf is built in, too. Remember, it is a first gen product.

alice said...

All of the newest gadgets are very intimidating to me. I have a simple cell phone, that I can call and text with, and that's about as sophisticated as I get. Perhaps I don't attempt to learn all the advanced forms because I am technologically stupid. I respect anyone who has the "no fear" attitude towards mastering the latest products. I just don't feel the need to keep up.

It's possible that some day, I will be forced to attempt to learn - but I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.