Friday, August 03, 2007

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER.

I am humbled and thank u all for yer awesome words of encouragement with regards to my last post. Great to practice my written Spanish and for y'all ta brush up on reading it too right? Depression can make a person very creative. HAHA!

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY! ¡AY CARAMBA MADRE DE DIOS! OH YE POWERFUL GODS OF OLYMPUS! That damn bridge collapsed in Minnesota! WHAT THA BLOODY HELL??!! I can't even imagine: yer driving yer tired ass home from work, robotically programmed to take your route home, and you're on this routine bridge as usual when suddenly the ground beneath you gives way?! HUH? This is terrible, truly terrible. Structural damage they say, but the little cynic in me has to always suspect terrorism and stuff, but I'll take their word for it I suppose. This just proves once again that ya never know when yer time is gonna be up. Sorry to all the families who have lost loved ones, but it is good to hear the school bus with the kiddies made it out okay. The pics and footage coming out of there is pretty surreal, you'd think an earthquake hit the place or something and the cars and other big trucks were tossed around like toys. Comforting to know that the richest country on Earth could have such a crumbling infrastructure huh?

This current bridge incident reminds me of this very good, yet rarely seen film with Richard Gere that came out a few years ago called The Mothman Prophecies. A lot of people didn't like the movie, but I actually did. Purty fascinating man. Basically there were these very creepy sightings of some giant winged creature back East for a good while that were supposedly foretelling the eventual collapse of the Silver Bridge in West Virginia back in the mid 1960s. Movie didn't get enough credit in my humble opinion, but I think all you crazy people should check it out, even if some of the facts are a bit blurred for dramatic effect. It's pretty suspenseful, and builds up to a pretty compelling final scene of the Silver Bridge falling apart with all those poor people on it. The real Silver Bridge collapse occurred in 1967 and 46 people lost their lives.

And ya know what? Now that I think about it, Richard Gere is so underrated, but has always been in some pretty darn good films.

Thanks Richard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that movie. I watched it because of Juliane Moore. I can't remember if I liked it though.

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

The bridge collapse reminded me that I should not complain so much about flying

Gavin Elster said...

If they just listened to that mothman they would have known to stay off the bridge.

Gavin Elster said...

Seriously odd is this fact i tells ya:
in New Mexico and Alaska folks have been reporting a large winged creature that appears hunched over or to have no neck.
It has a wingspan of 15-20 feet.


Mothman?

Gary said...

Richard Gere's middle name is Tiffany? Good lord.

Emma said...

Oh, Richard. I have always loved you.