Friday, August 24, 2007

WHEN NEWS BECAME NEWS TO ME.

Do you remember your first major news story?
.
I was so innocent and unaware really. I remember coming home from school wondering why my cartoons weren't on; why did they keep repeating this weird footage over and over again? I had no clue, had no idea, didn't really understand the way the world worked I suppose. This moment however, is terribly important and significant, for it was the beginning of my loss of innocence. Yes, I was but a mere pipsqueak barely in the first grade and still had a lot to learn, but it was in these repetitive images that I began to perhaps realize what harm/evil truly lies out there.

The original footage that kept my precious cartoons and stuff from popping up on the TV that afternoon was a lot less graphic, but here it is, presented in all its shocking entirety:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in high school when this happened.

Gavin Elster said...

Me too and it was interrupting my cartoons.

Anonymous said...

The first news report that really stands out in my mind is similar in nature as your memory. It was the assasination of President Kennedy. It happened on a Thursday, and there was nothing on tv except the coverage of what they later called "the four dark days". I was 12. And you're right, Wil - innocence was lost forever.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I've never seen the entire footage. That's terribly disturbing.

M- Filer said...

oh god you ARE young. I was a senior in High School when Reagan was shot. My first big news story was when I was 5 or 6 I think, and it interrupted LOST IN SPACE after school, it was like 1968 or 69. It was the Appollo space landing on the Moon.

Gary said...

The first big news story that I can remember being on every channel surrounded Watergate and Nixon. I had no idea what was going on but I remember being annoyed that I could not watch cartoons.