Tuesday, August 23, 2005

YOU'RE A GROWN MAN AND YOU JUST DID WHAT?!

I'm stoned. High. Feeling real good actually. No wonder people love this herb so much. And this isn't even my tenth time experiencing it either.

Maybe that's what I need to get off this anxiety medication I've been on now for four years, this fuckin' Effexor which causes me severe withdrawal symptoms. I'm down to 37mg every other day which is promising, but just trying to not take the drug period is kicking my ass after about three days.

Marijuana! I know, I know, what's a grown man like myself even smoking pot now outside of my teens and twenties? I just smoked some in the parking lot of our local gay trashy bar JOX with some friends. DAMN DOES IT FEEL GOOD!

Tomorrow though, it'll be back to reality when this glorious high wears off...

Ho hum.

P.S. I found this:

Venlafaxine is somewhat notorious for its potentially severe withdrawal symptoms upon sudden discontinuation. (The recommended discontinuation is a drop of 35 mg a week, and sudden stops are usually advised only in emergencies.) Wyeth-Ayerst refers to these severe withdrawal symptoms in its literature as "severe discontinuation syndrome". These have a tendency to be stronger than the withdrawal effects of many antidepressants, but are similar in nature to those of tricyclic antidepressants and SSRIs such as Paroxetine (Paxil®). These effects may include headache, nausea, fatigue, and "brain shivers". Rarer withdrawal symptoms include shaking legs, dizziness and dysphoria. "Brain shivers" have been described as electric-like shocks in the brain causing pounding headaches and disorientation, increasing over time before abating. Although "Brain shivers" aren't exactly painful they can severe enough to be disabling. Antidepressant withdrawal effects do not indicate addiction, but are rather the results of the brain attempting to reach neurochemical stability. These can be minimalized or avoided by tapering off of the medication over a period of weeks. However, studies by Wyeth-Ayerst and others have reported very rare cases of withdrawal symptoms severe enough to require permanent use. In some of these cases, successful discontinuation was eventually achieved by the addition of fluoxetine, which was later discontinued itself without difficulty.

7 comments:

sixsyllables said...

What are the withdrawal symptoms you experience? I would like to compare with mine.

WAT said...

Spacey feeling, nausea, some anxiety, photo-sensitive, irritable, feeling very exhausted, kind of dizzy. It sucks doesn't it?

Troy said...

my brain is bleeding

WAT said...

In this case, I'd rather it'd be my ass bleeding.

Troy said...

only women bleed, i am now off to 24hr fitness to pump some iron and do some cardio so that I can feel younger inside, way deep inside

Anonymous said...

Alas

For the Angel I once knew fell to earth like lightning....

A tear wells up for I cannot follow him into the Abyss.

Truly all is lost....

Anonymous said...

My name is Judith Haven and i would like to show you my personal experience with Effexor.

I am 37 years old. Have been on Effexor for at least 1 years now. As soon as I was on the beginning dose I could feel releave from my anxiety. My family life is so much better. My kids notice it. They applaud my for taking the side affects for a better live with them. No explosive episode any more.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Nightsweats, I have twitches if I forget a dose.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Judith Haven